reese's pieces

30ish and indulging in my first late-youth crisis. and apparently some exhibitionism

28 September, 2005

and so it begins

class begins at 7:30 sharp. i certainly hope that you're the kind of person who arrives at 7:00 when your class/shift begins at 7:30 (implication - otherwise - you can't be serious about this...otherwise, no one will recommend you...otherwise - you're not a PROFESSIONAL)

welcome to my chef. i'll leave out the numerous hygiene and tidiness exhortations as i think they're fairly implicit in the above excerpt. i don't really have much to report. i met a classmate today who seems to be in about the same place. she worked at microsoft for a couple of years. like me, she doesn't have to work while she's in school, but she'll see what happens with industry-specific opportunity. we giggled about the one ridiculous classmate of ours.

the one major thing that has struck me since i've started is my (general) confidence. we haven't done anything in the kitchen yet, but so far, i've been completely unfazed by my peers. some of them are working in kitchens now. some of them have prior culinary experience, but i notice how strong my voice is when i ask a question. i notice that when juanita introduced me today in math, i was pleased with her presentation of me - though it was personal, i felt no shame - no doubt about presenting myself honestly. it's pretty fucking nuts for me not to worry about other people's opinions. i noticed some of my classmates straining to hear - interested in me. and it seemed completely natural. who am i becoming? i love it. i wonder if this happened at the zon, or if it's a function of leaving - but i feel powerful and relaxed all at the same time. my ridiculous classmate seems to fixate on tiny little things that are totally irrelevant to everyone else. there's a chip on that shoulder that i think we all feel. she bemuses and annoys me, but my real qualm with her is that she's unfriendly. somehow my confidence has enabled me to meet people without worrying about the consequences. it's like some kind of strange (re)birth for me.

my math class is so insanely easy i did this and next week's homework assignments tonight. the idea that math would be easy is pretty unreal, but this math is just a joke. elementary or maybe 7th grade level. i don't know how they can possibly require anyone who's even smelled college to take this class. i'm ok with it, though - hopefully it'll be an easy A. i'm dying to get straight A's. never in my life have i cared about grades, but i can't help but feel compelled...so many new feelings.

i was telling rob tonight that something about school feels like summer camp. i'm not sure if it's the "older kids" doing big kid stuff, or not knowing our way around, or just that (once we start) it's all so damn FUN and interesting, but it's kind of camp-ish.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home